1770 to 1790 · Pre-Revolutionaryspan
A plantation house survives because the insurgents used it
›Read the full entryClose
On the road from Cap-Haitien to Milot, where Henri Christophe would later raise his citadel, stands the le Conte house. It was probably built between 1770 and 1790, and it is the only plantation house of its kind in the region still in sound condition. It escaped destruction in the revolution because the insurgents used it as a headquarters. The building is a mixture of two colonial traditions. Its timber work is entirely French, particularly the framing that carries the hipped roof. Its plan is Spanish, a three part symmetrical arrangement descended from the governor's villa built at Santo Domingo in 1510. Nearly every comparable house around Cap Francois was burned, and the city itself lost all but one of its free standing colonial plantation houses. What survives at Milot is the ordinary domestic architecture of the richest colony in the world, kept because it happened to be useful to the people who destroyed the rest.