1818 · Haitianyear only
A woman schooled in France opens Haiti's first mixed boarding school
›Read the full entryClose
Juliette Bussiere Laforest was born at Cap Francais in 1789 to free parents of some means. She went to France very young with a father who sat as a deputy for the North, spent much of her youth there acquiring an education, married Joseph Courtois and returned with him to Haiti in 1816. In 1818 the couple founded La Maison d'Education on the rue des Fronts-Forts, a day school and the first mixed boarding school in the country, where she took sole charge of the girls in music and literature. Four other institutions then admitted girls. The school closed in 1828 and the gap it left was not filled until 1850. From 1824 she worked on La Feuille du Commerce, the daily her husband founded, first beside him and then alone, and kept it appearing for forty two years. Its masthead read that arbitrary rule is impossible while free publication exists.