1843 · Haitianyear only
An earthquake opens a waterfall that becomes sacred ground
›Read the full entryClose
A strong earthquake shook Haiti's Central Plateau in 1843 and left a waterfall standing near the village of Ville-Bonheur. People named it Sodo, from Saut d'Eau. It became sacred ground almost at once, a shrine for Danbala Wedo, the serpent and rainbow spirit, and rainbows do appear in the spray most days. By 1844 Haitians were already speaking of the falls in connection with the Virgin Mary. The priest and historian Adolphe Cabon tied that to the separation of the eastern part of the island in the same year, which closed the road to Higuey. Haitians had been walking to Higuey since the sixteenth century to venerate Our Lady of Altagracia on and around 21 July. A pilgrimage lost behind a new border came back on this side of it, at a waterfall five years old that had not yet had an apparition.